Friday, February 29, 2008

The Sweetest Sound

For those of you who do not believe that there is a God, here is proof...He takes a little boy and a little girl who have no one to call their own. He (God) finds them a mom and a dad (and another brother and sister) on the other side of the world. He orchestrates people, time, places, and finances and brings them together and a new family is born. But wait, it doesn't stop there. The real proof is still to come...God takes two broken, hurt children and unites them with two parents, prone to sin and selfishness; how can that possibly work? This is where I know there is a God and He does exist...He gives so much grace to this family that it literally takes one's breath away. He forgives the mistakes, heals the hurts and grows LOVE.
Three weeks ago, I had my "meltdown." I started to think we had made a mistake. The kids were NOT getting along, I didn't feel love towards everyone in my family, Phil and I were tired, Kathryn and Isaac were naughty. I wanted to turn back the hands of time and make a different decision. I was sad, felt like a failure, was guilt-ridden, and truthfully, was not very nice to live with.
And then, God.
He heard my cries, my hurt, and my despair. He looked down with love, not condemnation for the mess I had made and He forgave me and began a work that can ONLY be accredited to Him. As I look back on the last two weeks, I stand in utter amazement. God worked a real-life miracle...and I not only got to see it, I got to live it! Kathryn and Evalin are learning to love each other. They play together, they giggle like sisters do, and they hug and kiss each other because, in their words "they are best sisters." Lukas has relaxed and can deal with the chaos and change in his house. He told Kathryn she was "beautiful" the other day because she was feeling sad about her short hair. Isaac is, well... still Isaac (Ha). And what God has done in my heart is the real miracle. I love ALL my children. I can give hugs and kisses, not out of obligation, but because I WANT to give them. Two days ago, as I was leaving the house, Kathryn yelled "Goodbye mom...I love you" That was the FIRST time I had heard those words from her. After a moment the thought occured to me, "that may be the first time she has ever said those words to anyone" ...and I, because God exists, got to hear it.

10 comments:

Carissa said...

wow!!! God is so good! so glad to hear that you are all doing well!!!

blessings, Carissa

Dana Lohrer said...

Yay! God is so faithful! Even when we feel like we are total failures and that there is no hope, that God has bailed us out for the last time, He does it again! Thank you, God for your unconditional love and for your grace and mercy that is new every morning! We LOVE you all so very much! How precious those beloved words are when I children say they love us! What a great big brother Lukas is! YAY for your girls, they will be life long best sisters!

Renee said...

Praise the Lord for He is good!!!!

\o/

Cassie said...

wow...
i'm crying right now!
Wow
that's it. that's all i've got.
what can anyone say after reading that?

bless you all.

Lindsey said...

Praise the Lord for hie awesome revelations!!! I am rejoicing with you in the bound of love that grows in your family!!! Many blessings, Lindsey <><

Laurel said...

Wow!!!! Amanda, I'm blessed by what you say. I kow Laurel and I long to here all the children say that. But I know it will take time for some. Your're an amazing mom, can't wait for our kids to see each other again. Phil, you're an "ok", no you're an awesome dad....
hope to see you soon
jim

The Blaske Bunch said...

WOW and WOW again...I remember praying WOW in your home before you left for Ghana and the WOW's continue! Yours and the Hansen-Quinne blogs have blessed us beyond measure today! We are praising God for the families we have the devine priviledge of sharing life with there are so many of you. Thanks for sharing life and for being so giving of your lives to the Glory of God!
Dave

K said...

I am so encouraged by this. Thanks for sharing, as it is a great testimony about the goodness and faithfulness of our Lord.

Love,
K

Annerb said...

I've read this entry three different times and cry every time as your words sink in. I'm praising God for His faithfulness, mercy and love. What an incredible place to be...right in the middle of His will - experiencing the joy and blessing that brings. What an awesome God we serve.
Rejoicing with you and the family.
Love you all.
~A.Ann

Romy said...

Amanda - thank you for sharing - you've really blessed me sharing such raw, honest, open feelings ... feelings that many will feel but won't share. God is with you and your children every step of the way.