Saturday, April 25, 2009

Broken Cookies...

My friend Tarrah laughs at me because I tell her to frequently ask me; "Are you following the broken cookie principle?" This principle has become my new standard of operating.
My top gifts that God has given me are giving and serving. And I feel filled up and joyFULL when I use my gifts. However, awhile back I had a shocking realization - which led to the "broken cookie principle."
I had finished baking cookies and Phil came in the kitchen. He started looking around on the counters and finally after a few minutes, asked:

"Where are the broken cookies?"
"There aren't any this time...I actually made a perfect batch!"
"Oh...that's too bad"
"You can have one from the cooling rack"
"Really?"

Now that may seem like an innocent conversation, however, it hit me soooo hard and made my heart HURT! I realized that I was giving my family the leftovers. In all my baking, cooking, serving OTHERS, I had made my family feel second best, second place. AND sure enough, Lukas came into the kitchen a few minutes later and we had the SAME conversation. "OKAY GOD....I GET IT!" Then Evalin, in her sweet voice "I get a BEAUTIFUL one today!" OH MY HEART! (Kathryn and Isaac haven't observed the pattern so they were as equally happy to get a perfect one as a broken one because....SUGAR!!!!!!!!! HA!)
Needless to say, lesson learned! This is also why my blogging has hugely tapered off....I can't sit and blog all while saying: "No, honey, I can't read you a story, because I am writing our family's story for the world!" I exaggerate, but truly, they can't have my leftovers...including time. So when I have extra time (LOL) then I will blog:)
So if you see me walking around.... you have my permission to ask...."Have you served any broken cookies lately, Amanda?"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Amanda... what a touching post. The rest of the world will gladly take your seconds, you keep giving your firsts to your kids and husband. How true is that? I am so guilty of that too, thank you so much for sharing, and for the reminder. I so needed to hear it!

Laurel said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I need to remember that principle.


Laurel

The Blaske Bunch said...

Oh friend...boy you hit things RIGHT on the head...that is what I love about you!
I have been one of the ones who get the BEAUTIFUL cookies from you..THANKYOU! But boy do I see your heart here in this post! The comment about not being able to read the kids a story cuz I am so busy telling their story on the blog....AMEN and AMEN to that sista! I stand by you as a friend as we stand at our kitchen sinks...remove our hands from soapy water to slide down on the floor for one more reading of "cat in the hat"....I choose with to set the broom aside in the middle of a pile to roll a ball or marble across the floor to a giggling child.....I choose with you to turn from the computer screen to LOOK into the eyes of our beauties and answer and even walk away and come back if needed. THANKS for sharing...it is your heart for SEEING and CHANGING that makes being friends with you sooo delightful!
Here is to eating the BEAUTIFUL ONES with our families!
c

Lindsey said...

wow. what a good principle. :)

Tamara B said...

If this shows up in your email, will you email me? I've been searching for info about Beacon House for Ghana adoptions. I found a link to your blog on one of their sites and when I clicked here, I recognized it. I would love to hear more about Beacon House if you used them since we are researching agencies. Feel free to check out my blogs and contact me tam4buit at hotmail dot com

Hailey said...

beautiful! Glad you haven't blogged lately - that means the principle is working and you are spending time giving your family the first fruits! (or cookies).

the story of my life... said...

I love this post!! Thanks for sharing..It is so true over here...we are always working on it.