Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Is it sinful to shower more than 3 times a day?

So we have finally been blessed with a decent internet connection this evening (8pm local time, 12 noon pst). It isn't that we have not had a connection it has just been a really sucky on and it wasn't even able to download email. We are in Accra right now with Kathryn and Isaac staying in a mission guest house. We have been spending our days at the orphanage when we aren't hounding officials to process paperwork. The flight was ok though after having the first day cancelled we were concerned about the windy weather that came next. We did have a slight delay in NY. And by slight I mean we "taxied" for two hours. The good part was that it was only a 9 hour flight and not 10 as we had thought originally. When we got of the plane the weather was sweaty. It was not just hot or humid it was sweaty and I will continue that sweat until the plane ride home I think. Not much except the American embassy has air conditioning. Most places have ceiling fans that serve as a convection oven that trys to dry the sweat but only actually makes me thirsty. Driving is crazy. People are poor. There are soo many sad stories, beggers, and run down people. We were quite overwhelmed and unprepared for all of it and I really don't think you can prepare. If you come with the heart of Jesus you will be broken. We have cried a lot and have not slept a lot. I must say that Romana has been great. She is busy but has made the time to help us figure every little thing out. All packages arrived safely. The custom officer didn't even open a single bag. That was partly due to the fact that the airport did not have power and the baggage carousel was not working so they handed the bags out one by one. With a completely full 767 that takes a really long time so they were getting us out as fast as possible. I was really impressed though when the airport bus picked us up from the plane to take us to the terminal door which was about 100 feet from where we got on the bus. We have many stories and will try to keep sharing them as we have time and a connection. Amand is going to post a blog about the kids and then I will try to add some pics and video. To all "expectant" parents... Your kids are fabulous. I love everyone of them and they will sit for hours and talk about you and the states. I was talking with Jacob today about the airplane and he had a number of great questions about where the urine and poop go when you use the bathroom on board the plane. He assumed that it was just dumped on people. In Ghana it is quite common to go wherever and whenever so that is understandable. He also asked how extremely large people get on a plane. I tried to avoid the subject but he would not settle for my spined answeres so I told him that sometimes you get two seats. The light bulb went off and he said "so you take one side and place it here and the other side and place it here" all while doing the motions. He is quite a character. Victoria is beutiful and wants to read to me and show me her drawings. They are all excited about meeting us and living together in Lynden. I have quite a few notes and stuff to bring back. Ok so Amanda wants a turn to tell stories. Look back for pics if I can get them downloaded.

2 comments:

Dana Lohrer said...

I felt bad that no one has left you a comment, Phil! I guess we can all start working on portable air conditioners! Thanks for sharing with us! We are so happy for your family! We love you and hope you all come home soon!

Lindsey said...

I love hearing about Jacob and Victoria. How adorable!!! Thanks for loving on them! Bless you guys, we are so excited for your family!