Thursday, December 6, 2007

Setbacks and Disappointments

The last 24 hours has been very hard to say the least. It started with Romana dropping us off at the side of the road (she was going the other way so it was understandable), getting a taxi, the cab driver assuring us he knew where we were going, but then didn't! A 10 minute ride turned into a 1 hour long ride. In traffic. In the heat. Then after we got back I tried to make dinner with a bag of rice full of bugs and what I thought were black over-ripe bananas, but turned out to be plantains (which apparently you have to cook, but not knowing this or that they were even plantains, fed them to everyone raw resulting in stomach aches for everyone). Then this morning, we went to Beacon House where Emmanuel was supposed to give us Kathryn's passport so we could file the last remaining papers and take her to get ther medical exam. (She and Isaac received their passports weeks ago, but they misspelled her name so we had to get another one). Nothing from this point on can be done without it. We waited all day and were assured by the passport office that they would have it today, because tomorrow is a holiday here and everything is closed. But by 6 pm it was apparent that we did not have it, so we did not file our visa application and did not get the medical appointment (which takes days). So we were dissappointed. I was sick all day (probably from the raw plantains!!!) and Isaac didn't get a nap resulting in a not fun bedtime. The ride back, which usually takes about 15 minutes took 1 1/2 hours. The traffic was horrible and the way they drive here is everyone turns at the same time regardless if there is room or not. (2 lane road has 5 lanes of traffic...seriously!) So cars were scraping one another and bumping into one another, very unsettling. Also, there is no emission control (shocking, I know) and so the entire time, we are literally gagging and choking on fumes. It is very much like putting your face next to a tailpipe for 1 1/2 hours. The drivers actually carry a rag to breathe through and to wipe the sweat, which runs profusely from sitting in a non air-conditioned car for 1 1/2 hours. Anyway, long story short, we cried when we got home. No make that sobbed. I want to go home. I feel guilty for wanting to go home because people here live with this every day of their lives and I can't even handle 3 days. So there you have it, the not so wonderful side of our story. Please pray that Kathryn's passport is done on Monday morning. If it is not, it is unlikely that we can get everything done in time for us to come home on the 17th. That really makes me sad, because I REALLY miss my kids. Okay, now I can't see what I am typing and must go blow my nose.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

prayers are going up for you guys!!!! Thanks for being the "testers" in this whole thing. May God give you strength to face each situation with grace and courage.

love ya all,
cass

Annerb said...

Phil and Amanda, our hearts go out to you as we read of your struggles. May God encourage and strengthen you through this tedious process and give you the ability to lay every burden at His feet.
With love and continued prayers,
a.ann

Hailey said...

Even as I type this my heart is heavy for all of you and what you endured today. We are praying . . . .

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt