Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Love At First Sight









So it is my turn to post now (Amanda) and I get to write the best one so far! We arrived late in Ghana because of airline delays, so we were not able to meet our children until after we had checked into our place, eaten lunch, gone to the Embassy and filed our I600. We arrived at the orphanage at around 3:30 pm and met many children right away. They were all so excited to meet us, but no Kathryn or Isaac. More children came and met us, but still no Kathryn and Isaac. Then finally, I heard the house mother coming down the stairs saying, "Come now, your mom and dad are here" My heart almost stopped (really) as I saw her come down the stairs. I quickly wiped away the tears that came instantly into my eyes. Forever etched in my memory: blue dress, bare feet, hands covering her face. She came down, did not look at us and said "Hello" Phil and I kneeled down at her level and said hello without touching her at all. Then Isaac came into the room. So little, and so black! He said hello while looking us right in the eye! I gave Kathryn her doll and she took it and smiled! Then I gave Isaac his truck and he started racing it around the room. We went outside onto the porch to play with Isaac, but Kathryn stayed inside. Then after we played with the truck (rolling it back and forth to each other) for about 10 minutes, Kathryn came outside. She went to the other side of the porch and gave her baby a bottle. My heart was so sad because she was ignoring us, but I told myself to BE PATIENT. I looked back to play with Isaac, but he was gone. On Phil's lap, smiling up at him (more supressed tears). Isaac came back over and continued our very long game of truck rolling, when Phil said "Look behind you". There was Kathryn, leaning up against me. I told her how pretty her brown eyes were and how the baby had brown eyes just like her. She smiled at me (sigh) and then I asked her what her baby's name was. She said "Mom." Apparently this was very funny because she threw her head back and laughed. And of course, so did I. After that magical moment, she has been all mine! She calls me "Madame" and so does Isaac, but other than that, we get along like we were meant to be together. Because we were.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

We are overwhelmed by the joy you must be feeling to hold your precious little ones in your arms.

Thank you for loving on our kids while you are there, also.

Laurel

Annerb said...

What a faithful God we serve!

I'm so thankful for the internet. It's incredible to read your blog and experience your joy alongside of you. Phil's entry made me laugh and cry. Amanda, it goes without saying, I bawled reading your narrative.

We'll continue to daily lift you (and all 4 of your kids) up in prayer.

Can't wait to read your next entry.

Love to all . . .

Dana Lohrer said...

So glad to hear from you! Over joyed for you all meeting your new babies! I can't even imagine all the emotions you all are having! God is good! He will continue to give you the strength that you need! We will continue to pray for the paperwork! We would love for you all to be home in a week! Can't wait to see pics! WE LOVE YOU!

Kristin said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you and was so moved by your description of your first time together with the kids. I look forward to the pictures and more stories. I also can't wait until we are in your shoes!

Marsha said...

One nice thing about posting a comment vs talking to you in person is that it eliminates blubbering but it still has its drawbacks - it is hard to see the keys to type through the tears. Praying that you keep making relational progress (and for the paperwork).
Sounds like Isaac is going to be FUN.

Cassie said...

tears!

my heart is so happy for you guys! who would have thunk?

i LOVE hearing about Jacobs questions for phil!!! laughing so much!

and then tears when i read amanda's post.

BLESSINGS~ BLESSINGS ~ BLESSINGS~
cassie

K said...

Amazing you found those words and thankfully you did because we have all been so blessed by them! :) Tears here too! So happy for all of you! Praying things go well and quick!


Kelly (and my gang)